4.4 NCL Utilities
NCL (NCAR Command Language)
an interpreted programming language for scientific data analysis and
visualization that comes with many useful built-in functions and
procedures for processing and manipulating data, including climate
data and model output in netCDF, GRIB, and HDF formats.
In addition to the highly customizable, publication quality graphics
that NCL can generate, its interactive scripting language
and utilities can perform various useful operations on netCDF data.
- Ability to read and write netCDF-3, netCDF-4 classic, HDF4,
binary, and ASCII data
- Ability to read HDF-EOS2, GRIB1, and GRIB2 data
- A utility ncl_filedump that prints the contents of
supported files, including netCDF, HDF, GRIB1, GRIB2, HDF-EOS2.)
- A utility ncl_convert2nc that converts one or more
GRIB1, GRIB2, HDF and/or HDF-EOS files to netCDF.
- Interactive interpretation of commands or batch mode for
- Over 600 functions and procedures for analysis, processing, and
manipulating data arrays
- Ability to call external C and Fortran routines
NCL can read and write netCDF-4 data that uses the classic model.