NetCDF 3.6.2 Release Notes
The Unidata NetCDF Crew is pleased to announce the release of
a new version of netCDF: version 3.6.2.
The source distribution for netCDF 3.6.2 is now available in compressed
tar, gzipped tar form. Instructions for installation are available in
the INSTALL file that accompanies the software or online.
Version 3.6.2 includes more documentation, example programs, improved
for shared libraries, additional configuration options, and some
changes to the C++ API, as well as some bug fixes. For a more detailed
list of changes, see the RELEASE_NOTES which accompany the netCDF
Changes Since Version 3.6.1
- Changed the default install directory from the source directory to
the more usual default: /usr/local. Use the --prefix argument of
configure to override the install location.
- Removed the src sub-directory from the netCDF distribution. Now
the configure script is in the main distribution directory,
- Added the NetCDF Tutorial, including examples in C, C++, Fortran
77, Fortran 90, and CDL.
- Added support for shared libraries (with configure option
- Improved performance of byte-swapping loops on little-endian
platforms. Some benchmarks show a 20% speedup for reading arrays of
floats or ints, and smaller speedups for shorts or doubles.
- Added a "-k" option to ncdump and ncgen, for identifying
or specifying the kind of netCDF file if other than "classic".
- Made long-threatened change of type of ncbyte in C++ interface
from unsigned char to signed char, for consistency with C
- Implemented the C++ API on the netCDF-3 C API instead of the older
netCDF-2 API, providing automatic numeric type conversion as in the
netCDF-3 C interface.
- Added support for building separate Fortran library, to better
support multiple Fortran compilers on one machine (with configure
- Updated the Installation and Porting Guide, and the C++ Users
- Modified to build correctly for gfortran, and for AIX C++,
including AIX 64-bit builds.
- Modified to port more easily to the Cray.
- Added more tests!
- Fixed minor bugs relating to creation of very small netCDF
- Added support for additional configure options (run configure --help for
Questions or suggestions about this release may be sent to <email@example.com>,
mentioning the platform and version of the software.
Last modified: Wed Feb 14 10:47:50 MST 2007