NetCDF 3.5.1 Release Notes
The source distribution for netCDF 3.5.1 is now available in compressed
tar form. Instructions for installation are available in the
INSTALL.html file that accompanies the software or online.
Release 3.5.1 includes minor bug fixes and portability
and performance enhancements to version 3.5.0.
The netCDF file format is unchanged, so
files written with previous versions can be read or written with
Changes Since Version 3.5.0
- Updated INSTALL.html for Mac OS X (Darwin).
- Made the installation of the netCDF Fortran-90 module
file more robust regarding the name of the file.
- Added support for eight-byte integers in Fortran90
- Increased advisory limits in C netcdf.h and Fortran
netcdf.inc for maximum number of dimensions, variables, and attributes.
- Changed C++ declarations
friend NcFile to
class NcFile in cxx/netcdfcpp.h to conform to
- Added Dan Schmitt's backward compatible extension to
the C++ record interface to work with arbitrary
- Added C++ documentation note that caller is
responsible for deleting pointer returned by
Variable::values() method when no longer needed.
- Made C++ interface more standard; the result may not
compile on some old pre-standard C++ compilers.
- Fixed bug in ncgen when parsing values of a
multidimensional char variable that resulted in
failure to pad a value with nulls on IRIX.
- Fixed ncdump bug adding extra quote to char variable
data when using
- Fixed so compiling with
-DNO_NETCDF_2 will work for
building without backward-compatibility netCDF-2
- Eliminated use of ftruncate(), because it fails on
FAT32 file systems under Linux.
- Initialized a pointer in putget.m4 (used to generate
putget.c) that was involved in uninitialized memory
references when nc_test is run under Purify. Two
users had reported seeing crashes resulting from this
problem in their applications.
- Reverted pointer initializations in putget.m4, after
testing revealed these caused a performance problem,
resulting in many extra calls to px_pgin and px_pgout
when running nc_test.
- Added checking of size of "dimids" vector in function
nf90_inquire_variable(...) and error-returning if it
isn't sufficiently capacious.
- Added variable index to ncvarget() and ncattinq() error
messages and attribute name to ncattinq() error message.
- Tweaked configure script to work with recent C++ compilers.
- Fixed a memory leak in C++ interface, making sure
NcVar::cur_rec gets deleted in NcVar destructor.
- Reimplemented nc_sync() fix of version 3.5.0 to eliminate
performance penalty when synchronization is unnecessary.
- Changed order of targets in Makefile to build Fortran
interface last, as a workaround for problem with make
on AIX platforms.
Questions or suggestions about this release may be sent to <email@example.com>
mentioning the platform and version of the software.
Last modified: Wed Mar 2 09:46:24 MST 2005