Re: [visad] Best IDE for Visad?

Thank you for the encouragement and help I have received in getting started
with NetBeans and VisAD.

I am pleased to report that I have been successful. However there were a lot
more mis-steps than I expected. This was mostly about NetBeans and less about
VisAD. I'm a newbie with NetBeans but heck I used to make a living from
programming (I'm now a geophysicist) and if it takes me this long then I
figured other people maybe have a few stumbles as well.

So as a thank you to the community I wrote a little 7-step guide to getting
started with NetBeans and VisAD for complete beginners.

I'm not certain how "rich" a message this mail-list and the archive will
support but I'm attaching it as a Word document and also pasting it in below.

All errors are mine. I'd be happy to receive feedback and suggestions,
including if there is somewhere that it would be appropriate to post this
online.

Many thanks,
Andy

A Beginners Guide to Getting Started WithVisAD and NetBeans
23rd March 2013 andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> working
on Windows7 SP1 32-bit
A seven step guide aimed at first-time users of NetBeans attempting to compile
and run Ugo Taddei's VisAD tutorials. This will also be useful for anyone
attempting to use NetBeans for the first time to work on some existing Java
code and application libraries.
Step 1: Download and Install NetBeans
Download the NetBeans IDE from http://netbeans.org/downloads/
I downloaded the Java SE download bundle for NetBeans version 7.3
Step 2: Download VisAD
Download the file ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/visad-2.0/visad.jar
I saved this into C:\Programe Files\Java\VisAD\visad.jar
Step 3: Download and Unpack Ugo Taddei's VisAD Tutorial
Download the file http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/vistutor.jar
I then used the 7zip program, available from here,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/, to unpack this file into
C:\Users\Andrew\VisAD\UgoTutorial
Step 4: Launch NetBeans and Create a New Project
Launch NetBeans and from the main menu select File > New Project. In the New
Project dialog choose a project category of Java Project with Existing Sources
[cid:image001.jpg@01CE28D1.6852B610]
I chose to call my new project VisADTutorial
[cid:image002.jpg@01CE28D1.6852B610]
Then I selected the folder where I had extracted the source code for the
tutorial examples. The tutorials are pre-compiled and the .class files are in
the same directories. NetBeans will offer to delete these and recompile -
accept this option to delete.
[cid:image003.jpg@01CE28D1.6852B610]
[cid:image004.jpg@01CE28D1.6852B610]
Step 6: Tell NetBeans Where to Find the VisAD Library
We now have a new NetBeans project but it won't compile because it can't find
the VisAD classes. In the NetBeans Project tree right click on the Libraries
folder and select Add JAR/Folder. Navigate to wherever you saved the visad.jar
file from step 2 and then select it.
[cid:image005.jpg@01CE28D1.6852B610]
[cid:image006.jpg@01CE28D1.6852B610]
Step 7: Compile and Run The Tutorials
In the the NetBeans Project tree in the Source Packages folder browse to find
the java source file for the tutorial that you want to run, right click on it
and select run. NetBeans will compile and run the program.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

BG Energy Holdings Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 3763515 Registered address:
100 Thames Valley Park Drive
Reading, Berkshire RG6 1PT UK
Telephone: +44 (0)118 935 3222
Website: http://www.BG-Group.com

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee named above. As this
e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information, please advise
us immediately if you are not the named addressee or the person
responsible for delivering the message to the named addressee and
delete all copies from your system. The contents should not be
disclosed to any other person nor copies taken. If the content of this
email or attachment is personal or unconnected with our business, BG
Energy Holdings Limited accepts no liability or responsibility for it.
Please also note that we make every effort to keep our network free
from viruses and this email has been scanned accordingly. BG Energy
Holdings Limited accepts no responsibility for viruses once an email has
been transmitted.