Re: [visad] Best IDE for Visad?

Hi Andrew,

> Do many of the visad community use an IDE?

Personally I use Eclipse (with the Vrapper plugin, for vim-like editing). I
have used NetBeans a bit too and it seems pretty good, but my only
extensive experience is with Eclipse. I also still like pure vim + command
line for some things. Eclipse definitely has its problems, but its power is
undeniable.

If you use Julien Chastang's mirror of VisAD [1], which is Mavenized, you
can easily develop in any major IDE using its Maven integration. E.g., in
Eclipse, you say File > Import > Existing Maven Projects and point to the
toplevel directory, and all the dependencies are taken care of for you
(including automatically using Project and JAR dependencies on the fly as
appropriate, as well as automatically linking source code). Or in NetBeans,
you simply use "Open Project" like any other project. IntelliJ IDEA is
similar.

Regards,
Curtis

[1] https://github.com/julienchastang/VisAD