Re: [visad] VisAD with Java 1.7 on Windows 7

Hello Julien,

sorry for the slow reply; I had subscribed to the daily digest, and didn't
realise it contained a response.

Looking at it again now, can see
that http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/index-jsp-138252.html contains
 links to Java3D downloads. The latest version on this page is 1.5.1, and I
would have taken the java3d-1_5_1-windows-amd64.exe binary had I known...

...but, this is not the path I took. Instead, I followed the link from the
JavaSE technologies page
at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/index.html to http://java.net/projects/java3d,
 downloaded the source, compiled it with the Java1.7 compiler, then faced
problems at runtime with "j3dcore-ogl.dll" not being found. After that, I
downloaded the jogl source from http://java.net/projects/jogl ;(the page
mentions this is an inactive project), and was about to start compiling it,
when I came across some pre-built Java3D binaries
at http://download.java.net/media/java3d/builds/release/, and
downloaded j3d-1_5_2-windows-amd64.exe. That fixed the problem, and I was able
to run the visad/examples.

What does this mean for the future of Java3D. Have Oracle lost interest ? I've
been out of the Java environment for a number of years, so wasn't aware of
these changes...

Regards,
JimK.

------