Re: [visad] Linear*DSet progression arguments... bug or feature?

HI All,

for the first plot, it was the axis scaling. If i set the range manually, it looks ok.

But for the flow chart, the problem still exist.after several hours of testing, it is ( for my understanding) not an precision/floating point issue, because the labels on the Axis are correct. If I change the scale, it does not affect interpolation issue of flows (http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=207vuz7&s=5).

I think it has something to do with the Time Unit. When i try the

The dateUnit config String:   s since 2011-06-15 07:40:04.000 UTC 4814
Linear1DSet xSet=new Linear1DSet(flowChartMathTypes.xAxis,0, 4814,2396, null, new Unit[]{dateUnit}, null);

DateTime is correctly displayed on xAxis (so no floating point problem). But the flows are interpolated like this: http://tinypic.com/r/uadxg/5

If i use the Linear1DSet wtihout timeUnit like
Linear1DSet xSet=new Linear1DSet(flowChartMathTypes.xAxis,0, 4814,2396, null, null, error);

Plot is ok, http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2s7civq&s=5
but incorrect axis labels (because of the missing units in the linear1DSet).

And if i set the dateUnit config string to: s since 1800-02-19 00:00:00.000 UTC 4814

i get this funny chart: http://tinypic.com/r/2u47era/5 (only 11 points on x Axis where the flows are plotted).

Does the Time Unit affect the scaling on the Axis? Or how can i change the precision/interpolation of the plot?

Thanks,

Stefan

Hi Stefan-

Again, I think what you are seeing is a precision problem. For the first time series plot, I think when you use time that the time series is being condensed because the range of the times is 11 days from the look of the plot. You could probably set the range on the x axis to be a smaller range and see the whole line. Similarly for the vector plots.

Following on Curtis' suggestion, you could use a different unit than seconds since 1970-01-01 00:00:00. You could use:

Unit dateUnit = visad.data.units.Parser.parse("seconds since 2012-03-13 00:00:00);

(or whatever you want for a reference time) and then use that unit as the Set Units in the Linear*DSet constructor:

domain_set = new Linear2DSet(domain_tuple, 0.0, NROWS, NROWS,
0, NCOLS, NCOLS, (CoordinateSystem) null, new Unit[] {dateUnit}, (ErrorEstimate[]) null);

Don