Re: [visad] Using VisAD for Fire Behavior

 Hi Bruce,

In both of your MathTypes you've got a multi-dimensional
Field at each combination of time and (latitude, longitude)
location. In the second MathType, I suspect that rather than
having fire_behavior as a function of wind_spd, wind_dir, slope,
aspect and fuel_preheat, which would make a very large data
set, you simply want one value each of wind_spd, wind_dir,
slope, aspect, fuel_preheat and fire_behavior at each combination
of time and (latitude, longitude) location. This would produce the
MathType:

  ( time -> ( (latitude, longitude) -> (wind_spd, wind_dir, slope,
aspect, fuel_preheat, fire_behavior ) ) )

A similar change to your first MathType would produce:

  ( time -> ( (latitude, longitude) -> ( slope, aspect, fuel_type,
fuel_preheat ) ) )

I'm just guessing about your intent and may have it wrong.

Please let the list know if you have further questions.

  Solar pre-heating of the fuel driven by time of day and location:
  ( time -> ( (latitude, longitude) -> ( ( slope, aspect, fuel_type )
  -> fuel_preheat ) ) )

  Fire behavior output from wind, slope and preheat by time of day and
  location:
  ( time -> ( (latitude, longitude) -> ( (wind_spd, wind_dir, slope,
  aspect, fuel_preheat) -> fire_behavior ) ) )

  First, are my MathTypes adequate? The wind_spd, wind_dir, slope
  and aspect values are all read from data files. The fuel_preheat
  values will be computed.

  Thus far, I've adapted Don Murray's ArcAsciiGridAdapter into a
  GridFloatAdapter in order to read the georeferenced GridFloat
  (*.flt) files. And, I've coupled this with the
  visad.jmet.AlbersCoordinateSystem to handle the georeferencing.
  Now I'd like to compute derived preheat values from the data and
  rendering some of the data.

  Any tips or comments?

  Thanks,
  -- Bruce