Re: [visad] using ErrorEstimate

Hi Tom,

That does appear to work as I would expect for Reals, so this does give me hope.

Now if I could just figure out if I can associate an error with each of my FlatField values without having to resort to a FieldImpl with a range of Reals.

Thanks,
Doug

Tom Whittaker wrote:
Hi Doug --

In the Data Tutorial <http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~tomw/visadtutor/visaddata.html>
there is a small section on Error Estimates (EE).  My understanding is
that you can associate
an EE with any Real, and when you combine some Reals together to make
a new Real, it will contain as estimate of the errors, based on the EE
in the original Reals and the math operations you've done to combine
them.

From the tutorial:

    Real a,b,c;
    a = new Real(10.,1.);
    b = new Real(255.,10.);
    c = (Real) a.add(b, Data.NEAREST_NEIGHBOR, Data.INDEPENDENT);
    System.out.println("sum = "+c);
    System.out.println("error of sum is="+c.getError().getErrorValue());

When you run this example, you get:

    sum = 265.0
    error of sum is=10.04987562112089

The key, obviously, is to have an idea of the variance of your data....

Hope that helped...a little....

tom

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Doug Lindholm