From: owner-visaddigest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-visaddigest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 9:25 PM
To: visaddigest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: visaddigest V1 #261

visaddigest         Monday, November 21 2005         Volume 01 : Number
261

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:25:11 +0100
From: Ugo Taddei <taddei@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The random colour changing bug

Hello,

Andrew Donaldson wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   For some time many of us here at the Bureau of Meteorology have
> been aware of our VisAD apps changing colour for an unknown reason.
> I vaguely recall showing this to Bill when he last visited, but I
> am uncertain of this.
>
>   It has recently become a problem, with some of our operational
people
> wanting to choose specific colours, only to have them changed by
> our applications.
>
>  On every computer we have tried it on (including Linux nvidia,
windows
> opengl and windows directx) the fault occurs.
>
>  Attached is a simple program which displays a yellow box.  If you
click
> with your middle mouse button, the yellow box becomes darker.

I've seen this too and reported on:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/getfile?file=/content/support/help/M
ailArchives/visad-list/msg05512.html

(see also other emails on the same thread)

but dismissed because I thought it had to do with other native j3D
objects I was adding to the display (via
dispRendenerer.getTrans().addChild())

Cheers,

Ugo

> This
> thought to be the same problem that our applications have.  The sample
> program does not have any code to respond to a mouse button or change
> colours.
>
>  Any help would be very greatly appreciated.
>
>  I think we first need to work out if the problem is with java3d or
> VisAD.  I don't have a good understanding of all the things that
happen
> when the middle mouse button is pressed, hopefully someone else can
> add to this!
>
> thanks,
>
> Andrew.

-

>import java.awt.*;
>import java.awt.event.*;
>import javax.swing.*;
>import java.net.URL;
>import java.rmi.RemoteException;
>import visad.*;
>import visad.bom.*;
>import visad.java3d.*;
>
>public class ColourBug
>{
>       private DataReferenceImpl dataReference;
>
>       public ColourBug()
>               throws Exception
>       {
>               DisplayImplJ3D display;
>               ScalarMap latMap, lonMap;
>
>               visad.java3d.DisplayRendererJ3D displayRenderer
>                       new TwoDDisplayRendererJ3D();
>               display = new DisplayImplJ3D("display",
displayRenderer);

>               lonMap = new ScalarMap(RealType.Longitude,
Display.XAxis);
>               latMap = new ScalarMap(RealType.Latitude,
Display.YAxis);
>               display.addMap(latMap);
>               display.addMap(lonMap);
>
>               RealType pixel = RealType.getRealType("PIXEL");
>
>               FunctionType functionType = new FunctionType(
>                       RealTupleType.LatitudeLongitudeTuple, pixel);
>               Set domainSet = new Integer2DSet(
>                       RealTupleType.LatitudeLongitudeTuple, 2, 2);
>
>               float[][] flat_samples = new float[1][2*2];
>               flat_samples[0][0] = 1;
>               flat_samples[0][1] = 1;
>               flat_samples[0][2] = 1;
>               flat_samples[0][3] = 1;
>
>               FlatField vals_ff = new FlatField(functionType,
domainSet);
>               vals_ff.setSamples(flat_samples);
>
>               DataReferenceImpl data_ref = new
DataReferenceImpl("data_ref");
>               data_ref.setData(vals_ff);
>
>               Color colour = new Color(254,240,179);
>               ConstantMap[] colourConstantMap = new ConstantMap[3];
>               colourConstantMap[0] = new
ConstantMap(colour.getRed()/255.0f,
>                               Display.Red);
>               colourConstantMap[1] = new
ConstantMap(colour.getGreen()/255.0f,
>                               Display.Green);
>               colourConstantMap[2] = new
ConstantMap(colour.getBlue()/255.0f,
>                               Display.Blue);
>
>               display.addReference(data_ref, colourConstantMap);
>
>               // Swing stuff
>               JFrame frame = new JFrame("ColourBug example program");
>               frame.getContentPane().add(display.getComponent());
>
>               frame.setSize(500, 500);
>               frame.setVisible(true);
>       }
>
>       public static void main(String[] args)
>               throws Exception
>       {
>               new ColourBug();
>       }
>}

- --
l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19           53177 Bonn, Germany
phone ++49 +228 184960       fax ++49 +228 1849629
http://www.lat-lon.de        http://www.deegree.org