Re: Help: Transparency problems. Holes in the surface! Is this a known problem and how to fix it?

  • To: Surekha Chandran <surekhachandran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Help: Transparency problems. Holes in the surface! Is this a known problem and how to fix it?
  • From: Bill Hibbard <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:07:21 -0500 (CDT)
Hi Surekha,

This is an old and well known problem with all
3-D graphics libraires that are fast enough for
interaction. Efficient 3-D graphics libraries,
such as Java3D, use a Z-buffer algorithm for
depth precedence and for this to render correctly
with multiple transparent layers the layers must
be rendered in an ordered sorted from rear to
front. But the sort order changes as the user
rotates the surfaces in 3-D, and dynamically
re-sorting as the user rotates (and dynamically
changing the geometry used by the graphics
library) would be too slow for interaction.

We have from time to time experimented with an
alternate implementation of transparency, known
as screen door transparency, available in Java3D.
But it seems not to work (it does work in OpenGL
and is used by Vis5D). But screen door images
look a bit weird viewed close up, even if it did
work in Java3D.

Bill