VisAD handling of ADDE dataset names

Hi...

It recently came to our attention that the ADDE protocol behaves
differently than we were led to believe when the AddeURLConnection class
was coded:  the ADDE servers resolve names in a "case-sensitive" manner.
Although McIDAS clients (command line) always send upper-case letters,
there is now at least one site that has mixed and/or lower case letters
in dataset names.

THerefore, we are proposing a change to the AddeURLConnection class to
_not_ convert the dataset/group information to uppercase before sending
along to the server.  We know that this may break existing properties
files or scripts or programs that have been set up assuming that the
conversion to upper-case would be made by AddeURLConnection before
sending the request to the ADDE server.

We welcome your comments, but feel this change must be made -- it's the
proverbial "rock and a hard place"...and we doubt we'd be able to convince data providers to change.

tom & don

--
Tom Whittaker (tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
University of Wisconsin-Madison