Using the default DataRendererJ3D and changing the ColoringAttributes?

I am trying to visualize an Irregular3DSet with a
color map. I am using DisplayImplJ3D with the default
DataRendererJ3D. The interpolation of the colors
between the vertices is not smooth.

Since the 3D displays are built on top of Java3D I was
hoping there was some way for me to get and set the to NICEST, FASTEST,
SHADE_GOURAUD, SHADE_FLAT etc. "without" creating a
new DataRenderer. Is this possible? If so how?

Thank you in advance.

Do You Yahoo!?