Re: Apply a Texture on a shape?

Hi Laurent,

Unfortunately there are no current DataRenderers that support
textures on Shapes. You might do this by constructing a Java3D
Geometry (i.e., a TriangleStripArray instead of a
VisADTriangleStripArray) with a texture and adding it directly
to the VisAD scene graph. To do this, use:

  DisplayRendererJ3D dr
    (DisplayRendererJ3D) display.getDisplayRenderer();
  TransformGroup trans = dr.getTrans();

Then add your Geometry(s) to a BranchGroup, and add it to
trans. Your Geometry(s) must be added to trans via a
BranchGroup, since trans is "live".

This is a bit tricky, since VisAD won't know about or manage
your Geometry(s). Being under trans they will rotate and zoom
with the rest of your Data depictions, but you will need to
manage scaling them according to the getRange() values from
your ScalarMaps to XAxis, YAxis and ZAxis.

Because VisAD won't know about your Geometry(s), it won't do
anything to animate them. One approach would be to put your
own TransformGroup between your BranchGroup and your Geometries,
and calls its setTransform() method to rotate your planets.