Re: Install Error

Hi Kevin:

Although I did a compile using Java 1.5.0_03 on Windows prior to the last release, the visad.jar file contains .class files compiled with 1.4.2 (using the "-target 1.2" option). Having said that, perhaps you should remove the "-target 1.2" from the Makefile, since the 1.5 javac obviously is unhappy with it. This was not an issue for my 1.4.2 compile (or the 1.5.0_03 compatability check), but it's a starting point.

Also, I don't understand the reference to the "OldHomeDir" in the
diagnositic...??

Best wishes,

tom

Kevin Manross wrote:

Hi All,

Has anyone hd problems compiling VisAD under

java version "1.5.0_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_04-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_04-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

Upon unpacking visad_src-2.0.jar (which I grabbed today) and making the appropriate changes to the Makefile

JAVADIR = /mnt/home/kmanross/local/java/bin/java
JAVAARCH = linux

I get the following error(s) when trying to compile:

make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/home/kmanross/VisAD/visad'
*** Building in .
javac -J-mx64m -target 1.2 -g *.java
javac: target release 1.2 conflicts with default source release 1.5
rmic -d /home/kmanross/OldHomeDir/VisAD visad.RemoteActionImpl
error: Class visad.RemoteActionImpl not found.
1 error

(This error is repeated for the rest of the build)

It has been a little while since I built a new version of VisAD. Is there a known compatibility issue with VisAD and Java 1.5 (a.k.a. Java 5.0)?

Thanks!!

-kevin.

--
Tom Whittaker (tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)