Re: Longitude in VisAD

Hi Geoff,

This mysterious behavior is being done by internal
logic that detects situations of flat map projections
of spherical (presumably earth surface) data, and
removes artifacts in the display such as lines from
179 to -179 that are drawn the wrong way around. One
complexity is that in ScalarMaps like your:

  RealType.Longitude -> Display.XAxis: range -180.0, 180.0

application are free to define the break anywhere they
like (i.e., other than at 180).

It is seemingly impossible to find general logic that
works correctly in all cases. One particular problem
has been very long lines like you are drawing. I recommend
breaking such long lines into short segments. Or you can
avoid this map projection logic altogether by not using
RealType.Longitude.