Newbie questions: selecting objects, changing viewpoints, and remapping user input

  • To: visad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Newbie questions: selecting objects, changing viewpoints, and remapping user input
  • From: Harry Hochheiser <hsh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:38:11 -0500

As a very new (< 1 week) VisAD user, I've got a few questions that I'm having trouble finding answers to:

1) Using PickManipulationRendererJ3D, I'd like to be able to have some way of telling what I've picked. Currently, I'm doing this by having a separate field and DataReferenceImpl for each thing that I might want to pick, and passing the Java object in to an appropriately designed subclass of CellImpl. Since there's a separate CellImpl for each object, I can then tell which object i've clicked on.

This works, but seems a bit clunky. Is there a cleaner way to do it?

2) Having clicked on something, I'd like to remap its appearance, which is currently determined by a reference to a ConstantMap which defines colors and point sizes. What's the best way to go about redefining the constant map?

3) How would I go about changing the initial view (zoom and camera position) of a DisplayImplJ3D?

4) I'd like to revise the rotation behavior for the DisplayImpleJ3D. Specifically, I'd like to support (at the user's discretion) rotation that is constrained along one axis at a time. What would be the best way to do this?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I realize that some of these issues have been discussed on this list at various times, but I was not able to find answers that seemed to fit these questions.

thanks,

Harry

Harry Hochheiser, Ph.D.
Image Informatics and Computational Biology Unit
Laboratory of Genetics
NIH, National Institute on Aging
333 Cassell Drive
Suite 3000