DEM and GeoTIFF to VisAD

Hi-

It's been a while since I asked this question so just I'm
just probing the list to see if anyone has:

- developed a reader of USGS 7.5 minute DEM data that generates VisAD
  objects.  The purpose would be to:
   - display the DEM as an isosurface, contour lines and or
     mesh (like Ugo's DEMViewer does)
   - create vertical topographic slices in any direction.

  If no one has already done this, then I'd like some input
  on the best way to structure the data.   A depiction of the data
  can be found at:

      http://edc.usgs.gov/guides/images/dem/utm.gif

  and a fuller description at:

      http://edc.usgs.gov/guides/dem.html#spatial

  Basically, it is comprised of a set of equally spaced profiles
  along UTM easting line. Each profile may be a different length and the
  UTM easting value (X) is constant. I was thinking of having
  a FlatField of (UTM_X, UTM_Y) -> Z, but I'm not sure what
  to use for the domain set.  Maybe an Irregular2DSet of
  float[num_UTMX_points][] and for each UTMX array, I would
  have the number of UTM_Y points?

- Is anyone working on a GeoTIFF to VisAD adapter?

Thanks for the help.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm