Re: plotting 3-d surface from data in irregular set

  • To: Susanna Ricco <smricco@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: plotting 3-d surface from data in irregular set
  • From: Doug Lindholm <lind@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:20:17 -0600
Hi Susanna,

This is a common misunderstanding that should have a bold FAQ entry. You can use a GriddedSet as long as it has a regular topology (i.e. it can be warped with irregular grid spacing).

Cheers,
Doug

Susanna Ricco wrote:
I have a set of values generated by a surface fitting program that I want to view as a 3-d surface. The MathType is ((x,y)-> z). I'm using an irregular set for the domain created with an array of floats from the data generated by the surface fitter. I can plot the data as points, but I can't figure out how to get VisAD to connect the points and create a surface. I've tried looking at the examples, but none of them use irregular sets. Is it not possible to plot a surface from an irregular set? I'm pretty sure I have to use an irregular set because the points from the surface fitter aren't guaranteed to be at regular intervals.

Thanks for the help,
Susanna Ricco

| Doug Lindholm, Software Engineer          |  E-mail: lind@xxxxxxxx   |
| Research Applications Program             |   Phone: 303-497-8374    |
| National Center for Atmospheric Research  |                          |
| P.O. Box 3000                             |     There's no place     |
| Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000              |        like $HOME        |