RE: determining if field is "index"

Hi Michelle,

I guess I don't understand what you're asking. It sounds like you want
to parse the ScalarType list that MappingDialog uses, but you shouldn't
need to do that.

Here are some VisAD methods that you may find helpful:

1. RealType index_rt = RealType.getRealType("index")
      This will return the RealType object corresponding to "index"

2. Vector v = display.getMapVector();
      This will return a Vector containing all ScalarMaps for the
      given display. You can then iterate through the vector,
      checking each ScalarMap:
         for (int i=0; i<v.size(); i++) {
            ScalarMap map = (ScalarMap) v.elementAt(i)

3. ScalarType st = map.getScalar();
      This gets the ScalarType object being mapped to the display
      You could then do:
         if (st.equals(index_rt))
      to see if the mapping is an "index" mapping.

4. DisplayRealType drt = map.getDisplayScalar();
      This detects what is being mapped to in the display.
      You could then check:
         if (drt.equals(Display.IsoContour))
      to see if the mapping is an isocontour mapping.

If these methods do not provide the tools you need, please
explain why not.

-Curtis