Re: Webstart and NetCDF problem

Hi Doug-

Doug Lindholm wrote:
I'm trying to webstart my visad app but it is having trouble with a NetCDF file I have in a jar file. I create a URL for the file using a technique that works for other data I have so I assume this is a visad/netcdf problem. Here's the Exception:

HTTPClient.ProtocolNotSuppException: Unsupported protocol 'jar'
        at HTTPClient.HTTPConnection.<init>(HTTPConnection.java:585)
        at HTTPClient.HTTPConnection.<init>(HTTPConnection.java:562)
        at HTTPClient.HTTPConnection.<init>(HTTPConnection.java:605)
at ucar.netcdf.HTTPRandomAccessFile.<init>(HTTPRandomAccessFile.java:58) at ucar.netcdf.HTTPRandomAccessFile.<init>(HTTPRandomAccessFile.java:50)
        at ucar.netcdf.NetcdfFile.<init>(NetcdfFile.java:186)
        at visad.data.netcdf.Plain.open(Plain.java:271)

Any ideas how I can open the NetCDF file via webstart?

Does this work outside of WebStart?  I would bet not.

I'm guessing that you are passing in a URL that is the
result of a Class.getResource() call which returns a URL.  This
will return a URL that starts with jar:

jar:file:/C:/java/metapps/lib/visad.jar!/visad/ss/open.gif

The netCDF library uses the HTTPClient software to handle
URL's and this doesn't handle a URL like the above.

So, for now, I would say don't put it in a JAR file and put
it on the local disk or on a web server and pass in the absolute
path.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm