From: Curtis Rueden [mailto:curtis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 2:40 PM
To: Kam, Michelle C
Subject: Re: null scalary type in ScalarMap

Hi Michelle,

Intuitively, a ScalarMap with null ScalarType or null DisplayRealType
would serve no purpose when added to a display.  I see no reason to
create
such ScalarMaps.  What are you trying to accomplish?

-Curtis

At 03:50 PM 7/17/2003, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to construct a ScalarMap with a null value as one or both
of the parameters passed in to ScalarMap(ScalarType scalar,
DisplayRealType display_scalar). I tried commenting out the following
code in the ScalarMap constructor:

>   /*
>    if (scalar == null && needNonNullScalar) {
>      throw new DisplayException("ScalarMap: scalar is null");
>    }
>    if (display_scalar == null) {
>      throw new DisplayException("ScalarMap: display_scalar is null");
>    }
>*/
>
>However, I will get a null pointer later in that constructor if
"scalar" or "display_scalar" are passed in as null. Is there a way to
wrap a null value for "display_scalar" or "scalar" before it is passed
in to create a ScalarMap?