Re: Extreme memory usage

Hi Ben,

As I said in my previous message, the next thing is to try
the most recent visad.jar.

However, I have also run some memory use tests. Your 120 Fields
of 48 points each need about 23 KB for storing each value as
a 4-byte float. The biggest memory use has got to be storing
the pixels of the Frame.

I was able to run a bunch of our tests, some creating two
DisplayImplJ2Ds and some creating two DisplayImplJ3D, using
a memory limit of 8 MB (i.e., '-mx8m' on the command line).

If Java3D is using over 300 MB, and Java2D is using 61 MB,
then it may be a problem with the Java and Java3D installation
on your computer.

If you can send me a copy of your whole program to run,
including data, I can check how much memory it needs on my
system.

Bill