Re: Problem 'make'ing VisAD due to HD5 libraries: Update: kind of works in linux

  • To: arsenius@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Problem 'make'ing VisAD due to HD5 libraries: Update: kind of works in linux
  • From: Tom Whittaker <tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:11:12 -0600
From this listing, it appears as though you might be trying to compile using the GNU GCJ - don't know why else the "libgcj" would be involved... Is that the case?

tom

tsc wrote:
Hi all,
One problem was with the Makefile, I had to change the line for the JAVADIR.  I would
have done this earlier, but there are 2 conflicting versions of the install
information on the visad site, one in the README file (which appears to be correct)
and one in the FAQ <http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~curtis/visad-faq.html#install>
which is out of date (obviously that was the one I read ;-)

So now it compiles everything, but with some errors still, I don't know whether
it is OK to ignore these, but the SpreadSheet program does not load, so
something is wrong still, here are the first errors (all of the output takes
several console windows)  The example programs work, but the main thing we are
interested in is the SpreadSheet.  Also there are still errors regarding HD5
stuffs, I don't know if those libraries are mandatory for proper operation.

Errors follow below.
Thanks again,
-tim costa

ERRORS FOR MAKE:
javac -J-mx64m *.java
rmic -d /usr/local visad.RemoteActionImpl
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at 0x4027312c: java.lang.Throwable.Throwable() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)
   at 0x402660af: java.lang.Exception.Exception() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)
   at 0x402699b3: java.lang.RuntimeException.RuntimeException()
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)
   at 0x402690a7: java.
   at 0x402690a7: java.lang.NullPointerException.NullPointerException()
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)
   at 0x40225547: _Jv_ThrowNullPointerException (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)
   at 0x4032ba69: gnu.java.rmi.rmic.RMIC.sortExceptions(java.lang.Class[])
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)

Tom Whittaker (tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Space Science and Engineering Center
Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies
Phone/VoiceMail: 608.262.2759