p.s., Re: Newbie questions

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Bill Hibbard wrote:

> Hi Carlos,
>
> > I have 4 different series, I have been able to graph the four series in
> > the same display with different colors. But I would like to add a simple
> > box with a legend indicating each color meaning. I don't know how to do
> > this.
>
> One way to make the box is as a RealTuple with MathType
> (x, y, s) and ScalarMaps x -> XAxis, y -> YAxis and
> s -> Shape. Create the box as a VisADLineArray that
> you pass to the setShapes() method of the ShapeControl
> you get from the getControl() method of your ScalarMap
> to Shape. See visad/examples/Test47.java for an example.

To get a colored box, accoridng to a ScalarMap to RGB
that you want to document, construct a RealTuple with
MathType (x, y, c, s) where c is the RealType in your
existing ScalarMap to RGB. Instead of a VisADLineArray,
use a VisADQuadArray to make a filled box. Don't set
any array in the VisADQuadArray's .colors variable, so
that the ScalarMap c -> RGB will determine color.

Instead of the ScalarMap to Shape, you could also use
a Tuple with MathType (c, Set(x, y)) and "draw" your box
as a Linear2DSet.