Re: controlling shading

Hmmm, I'm still missing something. What I've got now is a class
UnshadedRenderJ3D, which has a bunch of things along the lines of

public class UnshadedRendererJ3D extends DefaultRendererJ3D {

  public UnshadedRendererJ3D () {
    super();
  }
  public ShadowType makeShadowType(
         FunctionType type, DataDisplayLink link, ShadowType parent)
         throws VisADException, RemoteException {
    return new ShadowUnshadedTypeJ3D(type, link, parent);
  }
  public ShadowType makeShadowFunctionType(
         FunctionType type, DataDisplayLink link, ShadowType parent)
         throws VisADException, RemoteException {
    return new ShadowUnshadedFunctionTypeJ3D(type, link, parent);
  }

Then I have a new version of (non-static) makeAppearance, which I have
placed in ShadowUnshadedTypeJ3D. This version of makeAppearance does
something different with the lighting. But I'm never entering that method.
What else do I need to do? I previously had a bunch of makeAppearances also
in the other ShadowUnshaded.... guys, just referring back to the one in
ShadowUnshadedTypeJ3D, but the compiler complains about referencing a
non-static method from a static context... I'm not enough of a java expert
to sort this all out...

Donna L. Gresh, Ph.D.
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
(914) 945-2472
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/g/donnagresh
gresh@xxxxxxxxxx

                      Bill Hibbard

                      <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxx        To:       Donna L
Gresh/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                      u>                         cc:       Tom Rink
<rink@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <visad-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  Re: controlling
shading
                      owner-visad-list@ss

                      ec.wisc.edu

                      01/26/2003 05:03 PM

Hi Donna,

> Yes, I'm doing that. In fact my breakpoint in the constructor for
> UnshadedRenderJ3D is getting called, as are the breakpoints for all the
> constructors for the ShadowUnshaded*****

> It's the breakpoint in makeAppearance that's never getting hit....

I screwed up when I told you to override ShadowTypeJ3D.makeAppearance(),
because it turns out to be static and cannot be overridden.

I made a not-very-well-tested change, so makeAppearance() is
no longer static (now there is an equivalent static method
named staticMakeAppearance()). Its in the *.jar files at:

  ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/visad-2.0/untested/

Please let us know if you still have problems.