Re: VisAD and SQL databases

Ugo Taddei wrote:
<snip>
The SQL query is DB-specific, and it makes no sense to create VisAD/SQL adapters. (In fact, it is impossible to write an adapter which will work with every JDBC-capable database.)

Wouldn't it be possible to at least put a JDBC framework in place, so that people could just plug in the appropriate JDBC driver for their database and ensure the queries that get written follow the conventions for their database?

Given that most JDBC drivers decently implement SQL standards, it should also be possible to give some pretty detailed *SQL conformant* examples by which to guide people too.

It might not necessarily make sense to try and make a solution that works "out of the box" for everyone, but it does seem possible to lay a lot of the groundwork in place so that people only need to do the final few steps.

Does that make sense for a VisAD context?

Am not trying to argue pointlessly here btw, just suggest what sounds like a valuable extension to the VisAD featureset.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Cheers,