Re: VisAD and SQL databases

"my team" is currently *me*  :-)

I don't really see this as an extension. It's just using VisAD. Given that
the particular needs of any user are going to vary, and that getting the
data from SQL to VisAD is just a trivial data transfer step. It's not
really analogous to a new data format reader, in which you have some good
idea of how the data ought to be realized as geometry; when you're dealing
with SQL the transformation from a table of numbers to a geometrical
representation is going to be very application-specific, thus not really
ammenable to generalization and adding to core visad.

Donna

Donna L. Gresh, Ph.D.
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
(914) 945-2472
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/g/donnagresh
gresh@xxxxxxxxxx

                      Justin Clift

                      <justin@postgresql.        To:       Donna L
Gresh/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                      org>                       cc:
visad-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  Re: VisAD and SQL
databases
                      owner-visad-list@ss

                      ec.wisc.edu

                      01/21/2003 07:42 AM

Hi Donna,

Cool.

That sounds exactly like what I was asking about.

This would be an extension that's been added by your team?  Would it be
ok to make it available to others?  It sounds like it could be
potentially very useful to others using the VisAD infrastructure as well.

Hope I'm not way off the mark here, as VisAD unfamiliar territory to me
so far.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Donna L Gresh wrote:

> I am using VisAD together with SQL queries to a database. It's really
> pretty straightforward; the queries are generated in response to user
> actions in the GUI, the returned data set is then used to populate a
VisAD
> object (like an Irregular2D set), and the VisAD infrastructure
> automatically updates the image. It all works quite cleanly within the
> VisAD architecture.
> Donna
>

> Donna L. Gresh, Ph.D.
> IBM T.J. Watson Research Center