drawing text in a window

This is kind of a follow-up to a question someone asked awhile back about
colorbars; he wanted (the same thing I want, which is) a simple labeled
colorbar to indicate the data values which correspond to colors in a
picture. A pretty basic item, one would think.

Since apparently this doesn't exist in such a form, I started creating my
own, by just creating a simple rectangular data set with the appropriate
data values in it, and coloring it using the same map. This works fine.
However now I'm trying to figure out how to label it. Of course I wouldn't
mind "axes" type labels with intermediate values, but for my purposes I'll
settle for min and max on the colorbar, but I can't figure out how to do
this. I'd like to just be able to draw some text at particular values in
the data set (i.e. x = datamin, y=-1, and x=datamax, y=-1 for my horizontal
colorbar). Is this a big deal, or is there a simple way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Donna L. Gresh, Ph.D.
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
(914) 945-2472