RE: partially buried contours

Hi Bill and Donna,

I'm just a casual observer; somewhat interested in Visad.
I'm not sure who the developers are, or if they are "listening", but this is
mainly to them.

I'm just guessing that the logic that Visad uses to determine if the contour
lines are visible needs to be changed to be much simpler as follows:

Visad must have an algorithm that determines whether a point on the surface
is visible.
If that point is (would be) visible, then a contour line on the surface at
that point is visible (instead of the point).  That is the basic idea.  i.e.
The surface is drawn, and then the contours are drawn, using the same
algorithm to decide on visibility as the surface itself.

Well, as I said, that's the basic idea I wanted to suggest to the Visad
developers.  It might save everyone a lot of futzing around with ad hoc
hacks (Hey, how about "ad hacks"?).

Craig Barrington

Fluor Federal Services
Richland, WA