Re: Error with using Adde server in a Java Applet

Don Murray wrote:

> Helen-
>
> Helen Yi wrote:
>
> >>What does this code look like?
> >
> > It Looks like he following
> >
> >     // load protocol for ADDE URLs
> >     // See java.net.URL for explanation of URL handling
> >     static
> >     {
> >         try
> >         {
> >             String handlers
> > System.getProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs");
> >             String newProperty = null;
> >             if (handlers == null)
> >                 newProperty = "edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas";
> >             else if (handlers.indexOf("edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas") < 0)
> >                 newProperty = "edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas | " + handlers;
> >             if (newProperty != null)  // was set above
> >                 System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs",
> > newProperty);
> >             System.out.println(
> >                 "Able to set System Property: java.protocol.handler.pkgs
> > "+handlers + newProperty);
> >         }
> >         catch (Exception e)
> >         {
> >             System.out.println(
> >                 "Unable to set System Property:
> > java.protocol.handler.pkgs");
> >         }
> >     }
>
> That looks familiar (since I wrote that for the adde
> classes). ;-)
>
> Again, you'll run into the problem that you can't
> set system properties from an applet.  As Tom said,
> if you have a signed applet and can override the
> security manager, that would be different.

I don't have problem to set system properties from my applet since I have
grant the applet all permission.
The Applet need to access some ADDE files on another serve other than the
server where the applet is loaded.

The applet is on
http://virga.larc.nasa.gov/applet.html

The adde is on
adde://omega.larc.nasa.gov/text?file=RESOLV.SRV