Re: Error with using Adde server in a Java Applet

Helen-

Helen Yi wrote:

>>What does this code look like?
>
> It Looks like he following
>
>     // load protocol for ADDE URLs
>     // See java.net.URL for explanation of URL handling
>     static
>     {
>         try
>         {
>             String handlers
> System.getProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs");
>             String newProperty = null;
>             if (handlers == null)
>                 newProperty = "edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas";
>             else if (handlers.indexOf("edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas") < 0)
>                 newProperty = "edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas | " + handlers;
>             if (newProperty != null)  // was set above
>                 System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs",
> newProperty);
>             System.out.println(
>                 "Able to set System Property: java.protocol.handler.pkgs
> "+handlers + newProperty);
>         }
>         catch (Exception e)
>         {
>             System.out.println(
>                 "Unable to set System Property:
> java.protocol.handler.pkgs");
>         }
>     }

That looks familiar (since I wrote that for the adde
classes). ;-)

Again, you'll run into the problem that you can't
set system properties from an applet.  As Tom said,
if you have a signed applet and can override the
security manager, that would be different.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm