java3D problem

Dear all:

i have a little problem with java3d, and i will be glad if i could some
ideas, i am running out of ideas.
i basically want to create two canvas3D.how do i modify capability bits of
the PickTool, since i want both canvas3D to use the same PickTool, which i
got from "import com.sun.j3d.utils.picking.PickTool"
I have two JPanels, and for each one a scenegraph gets created and a
Canvas3D is added.
the second JPanel gets created and and a canvas3D object is created i get
errors like:

Here is the exception:
[java] javax.media.j3d.RestrictedAccessException: Cannot modify capability
bits on a live or compiled object
[java]     at
javax.media.j3d.SceneGraphObject.setCapability(SceneGraphObject.java:101)
[java]     at
com.sun.j3d.utils.picking.PickTool.setCapabilities(PickTool.java:283)
[java]    at
com.sun.j3d.utils.picking.PickTool.setCapabilities(PickTool.java:270)

how do i modify capability bits of the PickTool, since i want both canvas3D
to use the same PickTool.

it  seems to me like, if the scene is Alive it is impossible to make any
changes, but i hope somebody proves me wrong.i am not getting any answers
from "www.java3d.org"  either,  so any help will be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Isaac