Re: coloring parallel coordinates

Hi Adele,

> I've been using the parallel coordinates routine in
> visad/examples/parallel and I'm struggling with
> coloring the coordinates according to a new
> variable. The code looks like:
>
>     RealType x = RealType.getRealType("coordinate");
>     RealType y = RealType.getRealType("value");
>     SetType xy = new SetType(new RealTupleType(x, y));
>     FunctionType ptype = new FunctionType(index, xy);
>     FieldImpl pfield = new FieldImpl(ptype, index_set);
>     for (int j=0; j<nrows; j++) {
>       float[][] locs = new float[2][ncoords];
>       for (int i=0; i<ncoords; i++) {
>         locs[0][i] = i;
>         locs[1][i] = samples[i][j];
>       }
>       Gridded2DSet set = new Gridded2DSet(xy, locs, ncoords);
>       pfield.setSample(j, set, false);
>     }
>     DataReference parallel_ref = new DataReferenceImpl("parallel");
>     parallel_ref.setData(pfield);
>     display.addMap(new ScalarMap(x, Display.XAxis));
>     display.addMap(new ScalarMap(y, Display.YAxis));
>
> As well as samples[i][j], I have color[j], but I don't know how
> to set up the data so that it will know that color[j] is the
> color for the jth trace.

Your FieldImpl has MathType (index -> Set(coordinate, value)).
Try a FieldImpl with MathType:

  (index -> (color, Set(coordinate, value)))

Each range value would be something like:

  Gridded2DSet set = new Gridded2DSet(xy, locs, ncoords);
  Real c = new Real(color_type, color_value); // (RealType, double)
  Data[] components = {c, set};
  Tuple range = new Tuple(components, false); // don't copy
  pfield.setSample(j, range, false);

Then add a ScalarMap of color_type to RGB.