Re: VisAD JavaDoc

Curtis Rueden wrote:
> At 09:12 AM 11/25/2002, Tom Whittaker wrote:
> >m huang wrote:
> >>The "broken link" problem is still there. For example
> >>in visad.DisplayRealType page, if I click on visad.ScalarType
> >>I get a ``Not Found <br> The requested
> >>URL /+AH4-dglo/visad/visad/ScalarType.html was not found on this
> >>server.''
> >
> >On my browser the "+AH4-" appears as a tilde ("~") character.
> >Perhaps there is some character set translation happening?
>
> I noticed the same problem with 404 browser errors when
> creating Javadocs for VisBio.  When viewing the VisBio
> Javadocs, the links to the online VisAD Javadocs were
> correct, but upon clicking them, IE displayed a 404.
> But when typing those exact same URLs into a browser
> window, the pages appeared correctly.
>
> If this behavior doesn't occur in Netscape then I am
> even more confused (my only guess had been that it had
> something to do with the HTTP server being picky about
> the referer page).

All visad.ScalarType references in the actual DisplayRealType.html
file look like <A HREF="../visad/ScalarType.html">visad.ScalarType</A>

There isn't a <BASE> tag in that file, so IE must be relying on
its internally cached URL for the DisplayRealType page in order to
generate the URL for the ScalarType page.

This seems to imply that IE is somehow translating the current URL
before caching it, and then forgetting to "untranslate" it before
generating the absolute ScalarType URL from the relative ScalarType
path.

In other words, it's an IE bug, not a VisAD bug, so y'all need to
talk to Microsoft :-)