Re: VisAD JavaDoc

Hi-

m huang wrote:
In the "Online browse of VisAD javadoc" link in VisAD main page
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~dglo/visad/
All the links to VisAD classes and methods are broken in the
body of these JavaDoc pages.

It works for me.  Maybe you tried to hit it when it was being
updated?

Also why some of these JavaDocs
don't agree with the source code? (e.g. JavaDoc of visad.DisplayImpl misses most contents -- methods etc.)

The link above is built from the CVS repository and is ahead
of the released code in visad.jar.  Think of it as a preview
of what's to come.

Then I look at the
downloaded javaDoc in the doc/ directory, I find these pages appear
not to have the contents missing. But there still seems to be
serious problems, e.g. RealTypes constructors are all
supposed to be deprecated (per javac), but the downloaded JavaDoc
doesn't show this (then the online version does!).

The javadoc download (visad_doc-2.0.jar) is out of sync with the
release.  Note that it is dated 2/5 and visad.jar is 10/15.
It would be nice if this was updated every time visad.jar
is.  That way it would always sync with the released code.

I find generally VisAD JavaDocs miss overal structure description
(design documents) and are insufficiently written for "outsider" developers to understand the how exactly to use the API.

The javadocs for VisAD are not the best, but they are
much better than a couple of years ago. ;-)  I make an attempt
to update any method/class I touch before checking it back
into CVS.

VisAD is an open source project.  Anyone who wants to add
some javadoc and contribute it back is welcome do do so.
For design, I suggest the VisAD Programmer's Reference is
a better choice.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm