Re: question about collaboration

Nicolas Ocquidant wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently looking at the collaboration mechanism in visAD, and
> there is something I'd like to be sure.
>
> Let's say I have a 2nd DisplayImpl which listens changes done by
> a DirectManipulationRenderer (like in the Test00.java), in order to
> redraw the data.
>
> If I have well understood, the DisplayImpl act on the DisplayRenderers
> it holds,
> in order to get the data and to redraw it.
>
> Is this isn't a problem when one work in remote mode. I mean, the complete
> data will be transfered locally, even if the modification affect only a
> region?
> (If we have 2 remote displays sharing the same 3D data, and one of them
> decide to
> modify a part of the data, the other one is going to get the entire
> block to redraw it).
>
> Just to be sure...

Yes, when collaborating displays share a Data object linked
via direct manipulation, if a user modifies the data depiction
in one display, then entire modified data object is sent to
each display.

However, generally data objects for direct manipulation are
not so large. They are Reals, RealTuples, Fields with 1-D
domains, or Sets with manifold dimension = 1. These tend to
be small. With current DataRenderers, they are never 2-D
images or grids, or larger data objects.