Re: Does anyone use VisAD on MAC OS?

Helen,

> Does anyone use VisAD on MAC OS?
> If you do , could you please  more info on the basic system requirement?

I've used VisAD on Mac OS X (version 10.2.1), which currently includes
the 1.3.1 version of the JVM.  Since the Java3D extension is not
available yet for the Mac, you have to stick to VisAD applications
that don't require Java3D, such as the SpreadSheet.

Don Murray is adapting the Unidata IDV to platforms without Java3D,
and it seemed to work pretty well when we tried it on a G4 PowerBook
yesterday, although Java2D is slower in some rendering operations than
Java3D.

As far as the prospect for getting the Java3D extension on the Mac, I
think at this point the issues are not technical but rather
contractual and licensing issues between Sun and Apple.  But that
doesn't mean these issues will be resolved any time soon.

--Russ

russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu