Re: multiple perspectives?

Forgot to cc: the list

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: multiple perspectives?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:55:37 -0600
From: Don Murray <dmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Nicolas Ocquidant <nicolas.ocquidant@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Nicolas-

Nicolas Ocquidant wrote:

> Hi Don and thanks for your reply.
>
> I'd like to know how collaborative visAD can be.

You can share displays and data objects (through DataReferences).

> You've said that: a data object can be displayed in several different
> displays.
> Ok, but
>   - do the system allow more than one person at a time to interact with
> the system?

Yes.  There are several examples of this.  The GOES Collaboration
application illustrates how DataReferences can be shared.  It
can also be run in a collaborative mode, so two (or more) users
can share a common view on different workstations.  The VisAD
SpreadSheet is probably the easiest collaborative application
to use.  See the VisAD Developer's Guide
(http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/guide.html)
sections on:

6. Distributed Computing
10. The VisAD SpreadSheet
12.3 Collaborative GOES Satellite Sounding Analysis

for more information, as well as:

Test14/15 - collaborative direct manipulation server
Test55/56 - collaborative direct manipulation server in Java2D
Test63/64 - remote slave display server

I also wrote up a page on this for a workshop a while back at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm/visad/collaboration.html

which might be of some use. (Other pages in that directory may
be out of date, but might be useful).

And Dave Glowacki has a tutorial on creating collaborative
applications at:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~dglo/visad-collab/

>   - 2 collaborators may not share the same sub-goals since their
> specific roles in
> the collaboration may differ.  Sharing the same data set, these two may
> assist each
> others' interpretations on the way to achieving their individual ends.
> Is it possible with visAD?

I think it would.  For example, two collaborators could each
manipulate a shared view of the same data by sharing a common
display, but they could also just share the same dataset and
share slave displays of their respective views which would not
allow the other to interact with the display.

Anyway, look through the information above and if you have
more questions, don't hesitate to ask.  I'm no expert on the
collaboration stuff, but these are the references I've used.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm