2) If there aren't any methods as mentioned in (1), I would imagine that I will need to determine which data points form the convex hull based on the Walk[i][j] and then feed those data to DelaunayCustom. While I know the order of the data set (samples) that is going into DelaunayClarkson(samples), how do I know their orders within Walk[i][j]? In other words, which points within samples triangular face j is composed of?

Like always, thanks very much,

john

At 11:12 AM 8/26/2002 -0500, you wrote:

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:03:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bill Hibbard <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: John Yao <johnyao@xxxxxxxx>
cc: visad-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, qingwei Fu <qfu@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: convex hull

Hi John,

The Watson and Clarkson algorithms included in VisAD for
finding Delaunay triangulations were also used by their
authors to find convex hulls.

I have never tried it, but you could probably apply either
visad/DelaunayWatson.java or visad/DelaunayClarkson.java
to find a tetrahedralization of your 3-D samples, then
look at its 'int[][] Walk' array to find faces that have
no adjacent tetrahedron. These faces should form the
convex hull of your data. Specifically, if Walk[i][j] = -1,
then triangular face j of tetrahedron i is part of the
convex hull.

Note this is just a theory off the top of my head, and
one that I have never tried. If anyone can correct me,
please do.