display geometry - do they alway have to be square?

Thanks for yesterday's tip, Bill, on getting two displays into a single container. I've been playing around with different layout managers. I notice that with FlowLayout and GridLayout, the displays are always square. How do I control the geometry of the displays? I'd like them to make better use of my screen real estate, by conforming to the JFrame geometry, but they only obey the vertical size of the container, not its horizontal size.

Forgive me if this is an obvious window-manager issue. But I thought GridLayout should control both dimensions of the geometry.

Thanks for any suggestions, as always.

-Frank

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555 Fax: 617-432-3557 http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons