Subject: Re: visad field
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:18:34 +1000
From: Jim K <jimk@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Brobbey,Isaac" <IBBrobbey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: "'visad-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx '" <visad-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Isaac,

once again, I am cc-ing the list because I think others may benefit
from your question.

I have only had time to fix the range-scaling problem you are having.
Can anyone offer a quick fix for the pick manipulation problem?

Here is a fragment of your code (with line numbers):

   127      ScalarMap xmap0=new ScalarMap(xtype, Display.XAxis);
   128         xmap0.getAxisScale().setScreenBased(false);
   129     display.addMap(xmap0);
   130     display.addMap(new ScalarMap(ytype, Display.YAxis));
   131     display.addMap(new ScalarMap(ratio, Display.ZAxis));
   132     display.addMap(new ScalarMap(ratio, Display.RGB));
133 //ScalarMap timeRangeMap = new ScalarMap( xtype, Display.SelectRange );
   134
   135
   136
   137     // This is NEW!
   138     // Create a RangeWidget with the ScalarMap timeMap
   139     java.util.Vector mapVector = display.getMapVector();
   140     final int numMaps = mapVector.size();
141 ScalarMap map1color = (ScalarMap )mapVector.elementAt(numMaps-1);
   142      JPanel panel = new JPanel();
   143     panel.setLayout(new BoxLayout(panel, BoxLayout.Y_AXIS));
   144     panel.add(new LabeledColorWidget(map1color));
   145
   146
147 ranWid = new RangeWidget(new ScalarMap(xtype, Display.XAxis));code:

The problem is with line 147.

Instead of using the "xmap0" scalar-map that was created on line 127
and added to the display on line 129, a new scalar-map is being
created and passed to the RangeWidget constructor.

So, RangeWidget is working with a scalar map that has not been
added to the display.  That's why changing the range in the widget
did not work.

To fix the problem, replace line 147 with the following
ranWid = new RangeWidget(xmap0);

Now, we're giving RangeWidget a scalar map that has been
added to the display. :)

Hope that helps,
Jim.
---
Jim Koutsovasilis
Bureau of Meteorology, Australia
jimk@xxxxxxxxxx

Brobbey,Isaac wrote:

Dear Jim ,

I have a little problem with the PickManipulationRendererJ3D and the range
selection, the attached code compiles and runs fine, but the only problem is
that, at run time, when i enter a  range value it doesnt work as it is
supposed to.Secondly the PickManipulationRendererJ3D cannot pick any sample
when i right click.
Is it because i try to add two data references to the display ? i am
confused here. The "spikes" in the display corresponds to the ratio values
in the file flatxx.txt, so i expect that when i right click, the
PickManipulationRendererJ3D should execute the getClosedIndex()method and
pick the corresponding sample, but it is not happening. i am not sure if i
am doing something wrong since i am "new" to visad, i dont have much
experience with visad.I have spent about three days trying to find it out,
but from the top-level, i think the doAction() method in the cellImpl()
method is not working but i dont really know what i am missing in the code,
and i will be glad to know any workaround. I appreciate your time and hope
to hear from you very soon.

Isaac
Center for Vascular Biology
uchc