Re: javax/media/j3d required though not used?

  • To: Bill Hibbard <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: javax/media/j3d required though not used?
  • From: Tom Whittaker <tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:36:29 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

I thought this was odd, so I explored it at bit:

> This is news to us (but I rarely run on machines without
> Java3D installed). Can you tell us a specific program from
> the tutorial gives the error message:
> >    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/media/j3d/Behavior
> If its a program that doesn't construct any DisplayImplJ3D
> then you may have found a bug in the recent visad.jar.

I was able to duplicate this effect by running Ugo's P1_01 example
(which only uses DisplayImplJ2D) after removing the J3D jar files.
Here's the stacktrace...

[volante]/c/src/visad/tutor$/c/jdk1.3/jre/bin/java P1_01
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(
        at Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(
        at visad.DisplayImpl.clearMaps(
        at visad.java2d.DisplayImplJ2D.clearMaps(
        at visad.DisplayImpl.<init>(
        at visad.java2d.DisplayImplJ2D.<init>(
        at visad.java2d.DisplayImplJ2D.<init>(
        at visad.java2d.DisplayImplJ2D.<init>(
        at P1_01.<init>(
        at P1_01.main(

Tom Whittaker
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Space Science and Engineering Center
Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies
Telephone/VoiceMail:  608.262.2759