RE: Plot Earthquake Fault Trace into the earth

Ok, I'm about 95% of the way there. I set up everything as you outlined,
and I get the 3-D fault sheet to show up in a display. However it is not
displayed properly. It is not drawing a "wrinkled sheet of paper flat
surface".

I can't quite tell what it is doing but it looks like it is drawing a
continuous line from the first point, along the surface trace, then
draws a line down to the next surface, which is then traced, down to the
next surface and so on. It is filling in the outline of each trace
individually. It almost looks like each level is drawn indivually then
all traces stacked on top of each other, each level connected by a thin
line crisscrossing from the last point of the upper level to the first
point of the next lower level.

Is there a problem with the shape of my data? How can I make this look
like a smooth flat sheet with only one surface, instead of a flatted
wire folded into an accordion shape. Thanks for all your help in this
matter.

Cheers,
Steve

-------------------------
Here's my data structure:
-------------------------

static float[][] loc_vals = new float[][]{
    {34.1231F, 34.12223841F, .... latitude_1102},
    {-117.73972F, -117.7505419F, .... longitude_1102},
    {3.535533906F, 4.242640687F, .... depth_1102}
}

The 19 X 58 grid is flatted out. At the surface and at each level there
are 19 lat,lon points along the trace. There are 58 levels going from
the surface down to about 12 km.

My flattened data has the surface trace 19 points first, then the second
level, etc.

---------------
Here's my code:
---------------

latitude = new RealType("latitude",SI.meter,null);
longitude = new RealType("longitude",SI.meter,null);
altitude = new RealType("depth",SI.meter,null);

RealType[] vis_array = {latitude, longitude, altitude};
RealTupleType vis_tuple = new RealTupleType(vis_array);

int NCOLS = 58;
int NROWS = 19;

domain_set = new visad.Gridded3DSet(vis_tuple, loc_vals, NROWS, NCOLS);

// Make disply, get graphics mode control and draw scales
display = new DisplayImplJ3D("display1");
GraphicsModeControl dispGMC = (GraphicsModeControl)
display.getGraphicsModeControl();
dispGMC.setScaleEnable(true);
dispGMC.setTextureEnable(true);

// Create the ScalarMaps:
latMap = new ScalarMap( latitude, Display.YAxis );
lonMap = new ScalarMap( longitude, Display.XAxis );
altZMap = new ScalarMap( altitude,  Display.ZAxis );
altRGBMap = new ScalarMap( altitude,  Display.RGB );

// Create a data reference and set the domain set as our data
data_ref = new DataReferenceImpl("data_ref");
data_ref.setData( domain_set );

// Add maps and references to display
display.addMap( latMap );
display.addMap( lonMap );
display.addMap( altZMap );
display.addMap( altRGBMap );
display.addReference( data_ref );

// Create application window and add display to window
JFrame jframe = new JFrame("Fault Trace 3D");
Component comp = display.getComponent();
jframe.getContentPane().add(comp);
jframe.setSize(400, 400);
jframe.setVisible(true);