setPointSize makes points disappear

I am displaying x,y,z points in 3D, similarly to the 2D example P2_04 in the tutorial. I can see the tiny points on the display, but when I add the line

dispGMC.setPointSize(20.0f);

the points completely disappear.

I compiled and ran example P4_14, which uses this line, and it works fine. A little exploration revealed that if I remove the line much later in the program

dRenderer.setBoxOn( false );

the points disappear in this progam as well.
If I add the lines

    DisplayRenderer dRenderer = display.getDisplayRenderer();
    dRenderer.setBoxOn( false );

to my original program, the expanded points appear!
If I setBoxOn(true), the points again disappear.  Bogus.

Have any of you seen this behavior before?
Ed

Dr. Ed DeRouin

"If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it." - Albert Einstein

Visit my websites http://fossilweb.com and http://bassexpert.com