Re: Can anyone tell me what the following error mean? and how to fix it?

In Swing , you cannot call the setLayout( ) method direct from JFrame , like
the one below:

javax.swing.JFrame.setLayout(new BorderLayout()) ,

This is because you cannot add containers directly to the JFrame;

Use the following line always as advised in the Exception message of your
code:

javax.swing.JFrame.getContentPane().setLayout(new BorderLayout()):

eg:

public static void main(String[] args){

  JFrame frame = new JFrame("Frame");
  JPanel panel = new JPanel(new GridLayout());
  frame.getContentPane.setLayout(new BorderLayout()); //correct
  //error
  //frame.setLayout(new BorderLayout());

  frame.getContentPane.add(panel,BorderLayout.CENTER);  //correct
  //error
  // frame.add(panel, BorderLayout.CENTER):
 }

Hope it helps,
Sione.