Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:22:25 -0600
From: "Steve Cohen" <SteveC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jython-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Jython-users] A plug for Robert Bill's book

I've just gotten Robert Bill's book "Jython for Java Programmers" and I
really like it.  I've been using Jython for about a year and a half but
I've never made an exhaustive study of it and it's never been my primary
language.  I use it to accomplish lots of smallish tasks, most of which
are related to zxJDBC (full disclosure - Brian Zimmer is a former
colleague of mine).

As a result of this haphazard learning curve, I don't always know what
is available.  I've been scanning the first few chapters for about half
an hour, and every page seems to hit me with an "I didn't know you could
do THAT" feeling.  "If only I knew THAT, such-and-such a task would have
been a breeze".  For example, I never knew you could do

>>> import java
>>> dir(java.util.ListIterator)

and see a list of method names for that interface.  That is POWERFUL.
Up to now I've had to scan javadoc pages and I've done so on hundreds of
occasions while I was in jython.

Anyway, if you've been using Jython for awhile, but not intensively,
this is a good book filling in the gaps in your knowlege.