changing color mapping

Hello,

I have mapped colors on to the surface of my shape with

display.addMap(new ScalarMap(v, Display.RGB));

The mapping values are based on the radius from the origin to the surface of the shape. The shape may start as a sphere giving a single color (green). The problem comes when my shape mutates its form (say from the sphere to an ellipsoid). Apparently, the "sensitivity" of Display.RGB was set to be so sensitive initially when the shape was a sphere that the new mapping immediately covers the entire object with the color blue.

I would like to show the gradual transition of RGB no matter how the shape mutates. Does anyone know an method to "reset" the sensitivity of Display.RGB?? Thank you!

john