Re: Java3D crashes Xserver

Hi Kevin,

i have also had this problem in the past as soon
as we upgraded to Red Hat 7.0 and 7.1.  We fixed
it by installing the latest video card driver.
We had a card that needed an update.  The
driver was a free download from the video
card driver's manufacturer.  Hope this
helps.

-cheers, bob

--- Chris Burghart <burghart@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I hit this particular problem myself last August when I got a
> Radeon card.  The bug was in Mesa, and I submitted a patch to
> the Mesa developers which was included in the 4.0 (22 Oct 2001)
> release from mesa3d.org.  However, since XFree86 4.1.0 was
> released on 2 June, it does not include the necessary patch.
> Just installing Mesa 4.0 libraries is not sufficient to fix the
> bug, since Mesa support is built in to the X server.
>
> If you're willing to build an X distribution from the current
> XFree86 development tree, it includes a newer Mesa with the
> necessary fix.  For info on public CVS access, see:
>
>       http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/
>
> Otherwise, it may be necessary to wait for the next release of
> XFree86.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Chris Burghart
>

> Kevin L. Manross wrote:
>

> > Hello all,
> >
> > i know this has been mentioned offline and on this list, but i'm
> still
> > not able to achieve success.
> >
> > i'm running RH 7.1 with XFree86 4.0.3.  Although the web sites say
> that
> > it is unnecessary with this version of XFree86, i've gone ahead and
> > installed Mesa-4.0 and i have "glx" and "dri" loaded in my
> XF86Config-4
> > .  My Xserver still crashes every time i exit a Java3D application
> > (demos and VisAD examples).  There is little or no help from
> Blackdown's
> > web site regarding this and the few times i've tried to contact them
> > regarding it, i've never received any response.
> >
> > i'm using an ATI Raedon video card which appears to be supported by
> Mesa3D.
> >
> > So i'm asking the list if there is anyone who might be able to help
> me
> > with this.  i'd be very appreciative.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > -kevin.

====
Robert S Laramee         home: +43 (316) 720-756
Mariengasse 5          office: +43 (316) 787-1740
8020 Graz, Austria        fax: +43 (316) 787-777
http://www.cs.unh.edu/~sdb/rlaramee
http://www.daimyo.org/bsod/