Re: VisAd and Java WebStart (JNLP)

Hi Jim-

jim schmidt wrote:

> has anyone adapted visad applications (the example apps?)
> for auto-download using the java WebStart technology?
>
> ref: http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/
> ref: http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/Books/jnlp/

We use WebStart to distribute our GriddedDataViewer (GDV)
which is based on VisAD.  You can access it at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/metapps/webstart/GDV

Since the VisAD examples do not have a package, I'm not sure
you could do it through webstart.  Also, there is the security issue
if the jar is not signed.  If the jar was signed, you could use
a JNLP file like:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm/webstart/visad.jnlp

to launch the SpreadSheet.

Note, I'm no expert at this, so maybe there is a way around
the security exception.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm